How to support your mental health through Cycling.
Everyone is having a tough time at the moment, kids at home, job worries and of course worries around the virus. At Busby, we have the same emotions as you, but we also know how important exercise is to all of us. Here are some top tips for the next time you are wavering about your next bike ride.
1. The hardest thing about getting out is putting on your training shoes, the website cheatsheet recommends that you should get at least 150 minutes of moderate activity per week, which can include briskly walking or even mowing the lawn. For vigorous activity like running or higher-intensity aerobics, the recommendation is 75 minutes.
2. Stay flexible – a fit person not only exercises regularly but remains flexible, can you touch your toes right now? Nerd Fitness has some tips to help here - https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-touch-your-toes-become-bendy-like-gumby/
3. Can you plank for 60 seconds? Planking is a great way to build your posterior muscles and is a good indicator of your core strength. If you don’t know how here is a good training page. https://www.puregym.com/exercises/abs/plank/
4. Mindfulness – Exercise is great for that “me” time especially cycling when you really can only concentrate on what is going on around you. Next time you are riding, take a few seconds to appreciate your surroundings. Professor Mark Williams, former director of the Oxford Mindfulness Centre, says that “mindfulness means knowing directly what is going on inside and outside ourselves, moment by moment” https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mindfulness/
5. Use the Busby app – the Busby app will keep you safe on your next ride, it will also ensure your loved ones are more relaxed too. Share your next ride with us by using #neveralone